Sunday, December 1, 2013

About Those "Best Laid Plans" (November)

Dear Family and Friends,

The last blog that I published stated that we would be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for Thanksgiving. As Blake once said, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." Our plans have certainly gone astray as we are still at Davis Monthan in Tucson, Arizona. On a routine dental checkup, my dentist found an abscessed tooth that has required major work requiring us to extend our Tucson time by several weeks. Suffice it to say that I was thrilled to be in Tucson, under the care of my long time dentist, rather than on the road. On the other hand, we missed Thanksgiving with our family in Dallas. Roger has kept my spirits up and believe me, I am most grateful to have had the care of this dentist who has seen me for over ten years.

Staying in the Tucson area has given us a chance to continue fine tuning what we need for travel in the coming year. Downsizing from 43 feet to 24 feet has been a challenge. In addition we have been able to spend more time with family and friends in the area. Bear has been able to go to Sit, Stay and Play, his doggie day care.

So if all goes well with my final dentist visit on December 5th, we will leave for Texas on the 9th. Below are a few pics:

 Tucson is known for it's beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

How thrilled Roger and I were to be invited to my long time cycling buddy, Sandy, and her husband Jeff's home for Thanksgiving. On many of our rides, we discussed recipes. I knew that Sandy would prepare a delicious Thanksgiving dinner and she did not disappoint. On the contrary, it was outstanding.

 Jeff and his father, Glenn, lower the turkey into the deep fat fryer.
This was my first deep fat fried turkey, so I was very interested in the preparation.


 Filling the deep fat fryer with lots of peanut oil and then recycling it (at Home Depot) was an education.

 The finished turkey looks fantastic.

 Sandy, Jeff's mother Irene and Jeff put the finishing touches on dinner.


 Jeff's grandmother Pauline is 95 years old. "Ma" along with Glenn and Irene drove to Tucson to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with their son, Jeff and Sandy.

 Local friends, Mike and Rachael

 Sandy watches friend Bill chomp down on her homemade rolls.

How grateful the Radcliffs were to be included at this special dinner.
Many thanks to Sandy and Jeff!

Our final week in Tucson will be spent riding bikes, last dental visit (fingers crossed), a check up for Bear, and loading the trailer for the trip to Ft. Worth. Roger and I hope all of you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Thank you for your continued interest in our travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment